I must dirgress with todays post, as we have some very yummy treats for tea break. Syrup Doughnuts and Nutella Donuts. How tempting does that sound ?
I think Elaine also made a Bannana Loaf, so we will be piling on the carbs and then needing to make an extra trip to the gym this week, me thinks !
So, if you fancy some of these delicious doughnuts as treats for yourself, here’s the recipe – it’s adapted from a recipe found online by the Daily Mail.
- 200g Softened butter
- 200g Golden caster sugar
- 300g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 12tsp Jam
- 3tbsp Caster sugar to dust
- 3 Eggs
- Heat oven to 180C/gas 4, and line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- Put all the ingredients except jam and sugar for dusting into a large mixing bowl and beat well with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- With a teaspoon, make a dip in the centre of each cake, then add a teaspoonful of jam to each one. Top with a little more mixture, and spread to make sure the jam is covered. Bake for 25 minutes until risen, golden and just firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then remove from the paper cases and roll gently in caster sugar while still warm.
We used Nutella in one batch and Syrup in another instead of Jam – only because what we thought was Jam in the cupboard turned out to be a jar of mincemeat – lol ! The original recipe also suggests using a chunk of chocolate rather than Jam, and/or roll in cinnamon flavoured caster sugar once cooled.